How to Make Giant Bulletin Board Letters

how to make giant bulletin board letters

My instagram feed is currently CHOCK-FULL of a-dor-a-ble bulletin boards. I’ve seen a lot of teachers asking how to make giant bulletin board letters and thought I’d put together a quick tutorial! Below are a few examples of what I mean – special thanks to Katie from Queen of the 1st Grade Jungle and Jessi from Cooties & Cuties for graciously allowing me to post their super cute pics in this post! πŸ™‚

how to make giant bulletin board letters

via instagram.com/cootiesandcuties

how to make giant bulletin board letters

via instagram.com/queenof1stjungle

I MEAN. SO CUTE, RIGHT?! Make sure to follow @cootiesandcuties and @queenof1stjungle on Instagram for tons of cute ideas!

So, how do you make adorable letters like that for your own bulletin boards? Let’s get to it!

First, you’ll need to choose a font you love. Both of the examples above use MTF Jumpin’ JackΒ – this font is free for personal use!

Next, follow the steps illustrated below to create your letters. You’ll need access to PowerPoint on your computer. I have a Mac, so some of the directions may need a little tweaking if you are working on a PC, but the general idea should be the same!

how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters.006 how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters how to make giant letters

Here a few items from Amazon to help on your giant bulletin board letter journey. The following links are affiliate links. The prices are the same for you, but Amazon gives me a small percentage of the purchase price if you choose to buy anything. Win-win! πŸ™‚

1) Astrobrights Paper – because life is better in neon.

2) Laminator for durability.

AmazonBasics Brand:

Scotch Brand:

3) X-Acto Knife – for cutting out the little “inside” parts of the letters.

Want to skip all this and go the easy way? πŸ˜‰ A cutting machine is way more expensive, but can be used for about a million and one things. The Cricut and the Silhouette are the two big names in the game.

Click here to see the Cricut Explore Air on Amazon.

Click here to see the Silhouette Cameo on Amazon.

I hope this helps! If you use this tutorial to make an adorable bulletin board, tag @onelessonatatime on instagram so I can ogleΒ your handiwork! πŸ™‚

Happy bulletin board making!

Comments

1. Theresa Simoneaux says

You can fill in the letter with digital papers and/or texture files also! Want burlap? Want daisies? It’s so simple once you learn these tricks you’ve made so easy to follow!

2. Ashton says

I always have trouble cutting out the middle of letters (i.e., A, O, P, R, etc). Any tips for getting a nice clean look? Thanks!

3. Dawn says

Thank you!! I am laughing about finding this tonight…..I had my 19 year old son figuring this out for me LAST NIGHT!!! Needless to say he was thrilled πŸ™‚ Bless his patient heart. He will laugh when I show him this. At least now I won’t have to call him at college and ask him “How do I make giant letters in PPT?”……..Thanks!

• says

That’s the one flaw of Keynote in my opinion! I use Keynote for everything, but unfortunately, you can’t outline or fill fonts very well. If you go to format–>font–>outline, you can create a really thin outline, but that’s it. This is the one thing I typically use PP for. πŸ™ Sorry! I’m a Keynote lover myself, I wish I had a better solution!

4. Carolyn says

Thought I’d add a tip:

If you use “white” as a fill in color, you will literally print in white. It’s best to use “no fill” and that way save on ink.

• Carolyn says

That’s right! I discovered that years ago when trying to print different color writing on colored paper – it just doesn’t work! πŸ™

5. Angelic says

I have an old cricut machine, it’s time for an upgrade. Which do you think is better the cricut or the cameo?

• says

I have the Cameo and I really like it – although, admittedly, I don’t know how to do much with it. Haha. πŸ˜‰ Also, I’ve never used a Cricut, so I can’t compare. I have read really good things about the new Cricut though.

I think the big holdup for me would be the fact that the Cricut needs an internet connection to work. My wifi is comically terrible at home, so I’d be nervous about that. πŸ˜‰ Hopefully someone that has more experience with either one can chime in! πŸ™‚

6. Brenda says

This might be a silly question but how is using PowerPoint different than just using Word? I’m not too familiar with using pp. I love this tutorial and would love more!

7. BKA says

Be sure to test the size of your font with the biggest/widest letter first. Ws and Ms are always wider and I was half way through with my first shot at this and the W was too wide. I had to change the formatting for all the previous letters.